Friday, August 18, 2006

Better and Betterer

I may just stop blogging about any topic....

....OTHER than Hinky Lube. It is my best source of material.

You may recall my earliest experience.

And, more recently, the bribe solicitation.

WELL. I got the part, the cover for the turn signal. Put it on. But now the signal bulb didn't light. Coudn't get it to work, and it looked burnt (the filament was gone, between the two contacts in the bulb).

So, I drive to Hoppy Lube, just to see what will happen.

Different guy doing the inspections. Gives every indication of energy and competence.

I give him the paper for the reinspection. He checks the cover, nods, and says, "That will work!"

Go in to pay. Cashier says, "$.85"

I point out that the previous guys (the bribery solictors) had not charged me for the inspection, which costs $20, or for the certificate sticker, which is $8.50.

She says, "Oh, they must have." I point out that receipt, in her hand, shows they did not. She waves her hand and says (I am not making this up): "Oh, a lot of times they just take that payment in cash! I'm sure you paid it."

Um. They don't put in the cash register, or on the receipt, and you KNOW that they do this? WTF?

So, she charges me the $8.50 for the receipt, plus $.85 for some NC tax thing that I had never seen on a receipt before.

I go back out to the inspection guy. I ask if I can buy a light bulb. "Why do you need it?"

"The turn signal doesn't work."

He puffs up. "I didn't have to check that. The reinspection was only on the cover. Doesn't matter if the turn signals work; it can still pass inspection."

Now, that is a pretty narrow, letter of the law interpretation, but maybe he was worried I was one of those undercover NC-DOT guys. "Sir, I understand, I just want to get the bulb here rather than drive across town to an auto parts store without a turn signal."

We get the bulb, he shows me a neat trick to open the cover on the frame to get better access to the screw that holds on the cover, and I replace the bulb. He charges me $7.50 for the bulb, and went inside and rang it up on the cash register, giving me a receipt with the correct amount and part number. A fine, upstanding fellow. We had a good talk.

I think I'll go back to Higgy Lube tomorrow. I can't live without those jerks anyway, and besides all my friends are here.

1 comment:

Dirty Davey said...

You have answered my question from the last time...

No charge for the inspection? Does that mean they didn't give you the sticker? I thought inspections in these parts were up to $30 or so, and since most of that goes to the state, giving you a free sticker would cost Jumpy Lube some money.

So these guys are giving away inspections/ stickers. You'll need to find somewhere else to get your jollies, as they aren't likely to stay in business long if they keep doing freebies.