Thursday, August 23, 2007

The rain in Spain....

Or reverse brain drain?

A study by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation found that more than one million potential immigrants, including scientists, engineers, doctors and researchers, are competing for 120,000 permanent US resident visas each year

The total number of applicants and their family members waiting for permanent residence in the United States in 2006 was estimated at 1,055,084. Additionally, there were some 126,421 residents abroad waiting for visas, making a worldwide total of 1,181,505.

I have two responses to this story:

(1) Is this the "line" the illegals are supposed to get in "like everybody else"?

(2) So our country's immigration policy is to tacitly allow large scale unskilled labor in while tightly controlling the influx of skilled labor?

It keeps getting harder for me to say this but, Is this a great country or what?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you email this to Mr. Steve Sailer? The posts I've seen from Mr. Sailer in Marginal Revolution, phew, they just blow my mind.

Angus said...

Yeah, that guy is pretty obsessed and kind of scary. If I was Tyler, I'd be a bit nervous.