Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Who you got?

Tonight I turned off all the lights in the living room and was listening to Krishna Das in a peaceful reverie (while Mrs. A  was Wii boxing upstairs). Just me, Krishna, and the glow of my tube amp, when from nowhere it occurred to me: now that Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Desmond Dekker, Johnny Cash, and Ali Farka Toure are all recently passed on, I might be listening to the best voice living on the planet. 

Seriously, who are the other contenders? 

Van Morrison is up there, Youssou N'Dour, Bill Callahan, and maybe Kurt Wagner? Anyone else? Maybe Jamie Stewart? 

I am not talking about favorite singers or great musicians, but best voice (Probably my favorite singer who doesn't really have a great voice but can really bring spirit and emotion is John Prine).

How great is it to be able to listen to any of these voices whenever you want?

OK, 'nuff said. Back to Krishna Das!

    

3 comments:

Bill said...

How about Nora Jones?

Noel said...

Well, what are you talking about, precisely? Technical virtuosity of the human instrument, or emotional resonance/affinity? John Prine comment notwithstanding, "best" is truly subjective.

Anonymous said...

Brian Wilson--