Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's a groovy way to go

Last week, Mrs. Angus and I visited the shores of Hudson Bay in Manitoba to try and see polar bears. We were successful (click on pic to see a larger image)!



We also saw several arctic foxes



We stayed in a strange hostel on wheels called the Tundra Buggy Lodge right out on the edge of the bay!



We were there for three days and saw between 12 and 30 bears per day!





We also spent a bit of time in the town of Churchill and in Winnepeg. My impression of Manitoba is that it is caught in a time warp. It's still 1977 there. Three or four locals actually said "right on!" to me without any trace of irony.

5 comments:

Robert S. Porter said...

Interesting, despite living in Saskatchewan for most of my life, I've never been to Churchill. And I doubt I'll ever go. And while it's possible elsewhere in the province, I'd have to disagree that Winnipeg is stuck in the 70s. It's a decent town, that's perhaps only a decade behind.

Anonymous said...

The "lodge" looks a wee-bit frightening...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

In Minnesota, they have the legend of the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan and his blue ox named Babe. During a trip to a forest near Winnipeg, I concluded that Paul Bunyan was just a regular-sized dude who lived where the trees are kept short by a brief growing season.

Angus said...

@RS Porter. you can be decent and still stuck in the 70's, but I admit my observation is more about Churchill and the sticks.

@Anon: if you think it is scary from the outside, you should see the inside.

@Barry: The trees up where we were were tiny and only had branches on one side. "Flag" trees!