Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Duke Lacrosse case gets a new twist

The accuser in the case, Crystal Mangum, was arrested in Durham last night:

Police charged her with attempted first-degree murder, five counts of arson, assault and battery, communicating threats, three counts of misdemeanor child abuse, injury to personal property, identity theft and resisting a public officer.

A judge set her bond at $1 million during a Thursday morning court appearance.

This seems like a bit of overkill, as no one was actually harmed, the "arson" is from burning her significant other's clothes in the bathtub, and the "identity theft" is from giving the police a false name when they arrived at the scene. The child abuse is because there were three children in the house at the time of the domestic dispute.

Oh, Durham PD, will you ever do anything right?

I can tell you this right now, If a Durham cop ever tries to arrest me, I will resist to the best of my abilities!

4 comments:

ward said...

fortunately I have little to no experience in such matters but I bet the number and variety of charges is indirectly related to the attitude of the accused to the constables..in others words there is no upside to sassing the cops.

ericmc said...

dude, it totally looks like you have standing bc of the SC's standard. Huh? F these guys.

suchathreat said...

five counts of arson? I'm guessing one for each sock or shirt. Nice!
I committed 6 counts of arson the other night when I burned the palms I had forgotten to drop off at church. Good thing I wasn't spotted!

Nathan said...

Wooow, that's the most incredible instance of charge-trumping I have ever seen o_o